Our patients are what’s most important to our practice. We have treated your family for all of their dental needs. From cavities and implants to Invisalign and Lumineers, we’ve got you covered. We pride ourselves on offering all the essential services to meet our patient’s needs, including Botox.
Introduction to Botulinum Toxin A
Botox offers many benefits for our patients. It has been proven to relieve TMJ facial pain and headaches attributable to dental problems. The injectable treatments that we use in our Cincinnati office are the same Botox (BOT) which is used to treat cosmetic concerns.
This approved injectable is a purified protein neurotoxin called botulinum toxin A which is injected into a patient’s nerve endings to stop the nerve from sending out messages. Its effects are temporary, lasting for up to four months.
The Benefits of BOT
To benefit our patients, we recommend Botox treatments for the following purposes:
- Bruxism (teeth grinding): This medical neurotoxin relieves our patients from teeth grinding and teeth clenching pain by relaxing your jaw muscles. Grinding and clenching your teeth can cause misalignment to the shape of your mouth and jaw. With BOT injections we can actually heal you of your teeth grinding because when BOT is injected into your jaw area, it relaxes and lessens the contraction of muscles to clamp down. Devices like night guards are helpful but it still does not address the root problem of grinding. BOT is not a panacea, but it helps the dental professional in managing bruxism with results that last up to four months.
- TMJ (temporomandibular joint): BOT can work to lessen contractions of the jaw muscles which cause headaches. BOT can also potentially keep headaches and the pain associated with TMJ from returning, depending on the patient. TMJ pain can often be a challenge to manage with traditional treatments like pain meds.
- Migraines: In 2010, the FDA approved BOT to treat and prevent severe migraines. When injected into the neck area, BOT constricts the nerve endings or acetylcholine that is activated during migraines and thus blocks the pain nerves connected to the brain. Since TMJ problems cause headaches, BOT is a proven muscle and nerve relaxing procedure. Injections have been proven to also lessen the accompanying symptoms caused by severe headaches including nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light, sound, and smell. Another advantage to taking BOT injections is that it reduces the side effects that many people have when they take certain medications. We are happy to report that with BOT there are generally no side effects or adverse reactions. Our patients who suffer from migraines have responded better to BOT and its relieving effects than to pain medicine.
- Cosmetic Procedures: If you would like help to remove facial wrinkles, as your dentist, we are trained to pair BOT with dermal fillers. The botulinum toxin can be injected into your forehead wrinkles and corner eye wrinkles to smooth the skin on your face. Dermal filler treatments can last for a long time, around six months to a year depending on where it is injected.
The BOT Procedure
To give you peace of mind about BOT injections at our office, we are well equipped in providing these treatments. We are trained and skilled in facial anatomy which includes the head and neck areas. Dentists do more than clean teeth, fill cavities and treat gum issues, we are general practitioners who are adept at intricate health procedures.
The BOT process is quite simple and non-invasive. First, we select the proper injectable area according to your procedure, then we apply a local anesthesia or a numbing cream. The BOT solution is injected under the skin with a needle so thin that it is nearly painless. After it is complete, you can almost immediately resume your regular activities. The entire procedure is just a few minutes but yields results that can last up to three months.
Are You A Candidate for BOT?
The American Dental Association says that several dental boards in various states, including Ohio, have approved the administration of the botulinum toxin for medical and cosmetic use by qualified dentists in much of their dental operations. However, BOT may not always be the right treatment for you. After a consultation, we will determine if you are a candidate for treatment for the botulinum toxin A injections. To qualify for the procedure you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have been diagnosed with and are experiencing discomfort from TMJ.
- Be willing to undergo a non-surgical skin procedure.
- Understand that BOT results can be temporary.
- Be in good physical and mental health.
Here at Twin Dental, we recognize that a beautiful smile is not only made up of your mouth but also your facial anatomy. Thus, we combine dental procedures with cosmetic dentistry to help our patients keep their winning smile with confidence and self-esteem.
As your family dentists, let Twin Dental ensure a positive customized treatment plan that works for you. One of our top priorities is the safety of our patients. Contact our office today (513.987.9541) to schedule a consultation.